It would be impossible to list all of the conditions that respond well to herbal medicine and of course, every case is different.
Herbal Medicine rarely causes side effects, making it much easier to tolerate. It is safe to take many herbs alongside conventional medication and our medical herbalists are fully trained in potential Herb/Drug interactions, in order to offer complementary options.
Medical herbalists are often able to help in cases of:
- Irritable Bowel Syndrom (IBS) - using anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic herbs to reduce symptoms. Medical herbalists also use anxiolytic herbs to reduce anxiety and stress which is a key factor in IBS. Dietary and lifestyle advice is also given. Herbs can control gastric reflux without the need for dependency on PPI drugs.
- Anxiety & Mild Depression - using mildly sedative herbs to reduce anxiety, adrenal exhaustion and mild antidepressant herbs to lift the mood. Medical herbalist also employ advanced listening skills to help to get to the root of the problem.
- Chronic constipation - using bitter aperient herbs to stimulate production of digestive juices, mild laxative herbs to promote peristalsis and giving counselling on nutrition and liquid intake.
- Eczema - giving dietary and lifestyle counselling to identify the relevant triggers to promote self-managment alongside anti-inflammatory herbs with antihistamine properties used to sooth and health the skin and reduce flare-ups.
- Menopausal symptoms - using dietary and lifestyle advice alongside a combination of phytoestrogenic herbs to reduce menopausal symptoms. Other herbs are used as indicated, such as mild-antidepressants, mild sedatives and anti-inflammatories for associated joint pain.
There is research evidence to support the use of herbal medicine as an effective treatment in the following conditions:
- Functional Dyspepsia & Indigestion
- Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS)
- Back pain & Osteoarthritis
- Acute infections including rhinosinusitis
- The common cold and influenza types A & B
- Uncomplicated upper respiratory tract infections
Why are people choosing herbal medicine these days?
Our patients tell us it is because:
- They value having time to discuss their health issues in depth
- They like a holistic approach to their health rather than dealing with each complaint separately
- They appreciate the relationship they build with us over time.
Source: The National Institute of Medical Herbalists.